GROUP PROJECT PROPOSAL
INTERDISCIPLINARY RESEARCH STUDIES (IRS) 2012
Instruction to Participants:
- Discuss with your mentor the planning and implementation issues of your project before completing this form.
- Submit the completed form to your mentor, teacher-advisor, and School-coordinator by
Yen See Wai, Steffany, Cassandra Chai Ying Xin, Evangeline Wong Si Min, Aneesha Khanna Moneesh
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, SINGAPORE
INTER-DISCIPLINARY RESEARCH STUDIES
|TITLE OF PROJECT|
An investigation of...
|Reduction of Risk and Prevention of Ovarian Cancer.|
CATEGORY(Tick appropriate category)
|PURPOSE OF RESEARCH|
(a) For scientific investigation
Hypothesis / Engineering Goals
(b) For social sciences/exploratory research
Aims of research
Subjects of study
|Aim of research: Ovarian cancer can be prevented, it cannot be cured, but the risk of it can be lowered. We hope to achieve the knowledge on why there is no cure for ovarian cancer, help prevent ovarian cancer through dietary measures and lifestyle and what are some causes and symptoms of cancer.|
Subjects of Study: Our target audience are working women aged 30 to 60.
|RELEVANCY OF RESEARCH|
1. Why is your research important?
2. How does it contribute to existing body of knowledge?
3. How does your research contribute to/impact the society or community
|1. Our research is important as Ovarian cancer is one of the top cancers that women suffer from but people are not aware about it. With our research, we can raise awareness and understanding of the cancer.|
2. We can find out how we can lower the risk of getting ovarian cancer and it can be crucial information to people who are concerned about it.
3. Less people may get Ovarian cancer if they find out how their lifestyle can affect the risk of getting the cancer, they can change their lifestyle, thus there may be less people getting Ovarian cancer.
|SCOPE OF RESEARCH|
The "scope" section is where you list what you are doing. The "bounds" section is where you set the boundaries and you list something explicitly that you are not doing because they are outside the bounds of the project.
1) We are going to find out relevant information from reliable sources, like primary source books and reliable websites.
2) We also intend to interview a qualified doctor about ovarian cancer to find out facts on ovarian cancer, its symptoms, prevention of it and how it affects its carrier.
3) We also intend to interview women who are suffering from ovarian cancer to get more information and reference so as also to see if our hypothesis is correct aside from the interview with doctors.
4) We would also want to test out the solution.
1) The bounds are: 1)We are trying to interview some women that had contracted ovarian cancer but are unable to do so as they might refuse to be interviewed as this issue might be sensitive to them. 2) The doctor/specialist might not have the time to let us interview his/her. 3) When we get the solution to our problem we cannot test it as there are too much restrictions.
1. What are the current research available/ you have come across?
2. Summarise the research articles that you have encountered which may be useful to your research.
|1. Some current research we have come across are: 1) Ovarian Cancer Research 2) Preventing Future Cancer 3) Cancer Trends Progress Report.|
2. Ovarian cancer research scientists are currently studying surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy (including high-dose chemotherapy), biological therapy, and combinations of these types of treatments for ovarian cancer. People who volunteer in the research will also make an important contribution to medical science by helping doctors learn more about ovarian cancer. Although research trials may pose some risks, scientists take careful steps to protect their participants. Women with ovarian cancer have a 10% probability of carrying a BRCA mutation. If a mutation is identified, unaffected family members can undergo genetic testing and cancer risk-reducing strategies.Smoking, poor diet quality, and physical inactivity are just some of the human behaviors that have been linked to the development of many common cancers such as ovarian cancer.
Source/Credits and more information on the research itself: 1)http://ovarian-cancer.emedtv.com/ovarian-cancer/ovarian-cancer-research.html
1. How are you going to gather data?
2.How are you going to collate data?
3. How are you going to sift and sort date i.e. which date is important?
1. How are you going to analyse the data?
2. How are you going to present the data?
|Procedures: First, we will search for relevant background information on the causes, symptoms and current treatment of cancer ovarian cancer from information reports, case studies, live sources and the internet. Next, we will arrange for an interview through either email or phone call. The doctor, or even an ovarian cancer specialist from the cancer centre in outram park, will be interviewed for a more detailed understanding of the topic. |
Data Analysis: We would be inspecting, cleaning, transforming, and modeling data with the goal of highlighting useful information, suggesting conclusions, and supporting decision making. We also intend to summarize and present our data in both a report and a video which shows our data and evidence to support our hypothesis like interviews with specialist and statistics/graphs etc.
Bibliography: Information/knowledge that will be relevant to our research would be the amount of time people usually spend on trying to be cured for this type of cancer, how do most people contract this type of cancer ( do they have a higher risk of this cancer if they eat certain food stuff) and if the doctors specialized in this area have additional information on this topic itself. We will be obtaining this information from primary and secondary sources, depending on which one gives more reliable and useful information, such as doctors themselves who treat ovarian cancer or books that were written by patients who suffered through ovarian cancer themselves. Some alternatives that we have thought of would be to ask others for information or where can we find the information that we need. Some problems we are anticipating while gathering the materials we need are that the information that we can secure is not entirely relevant to our project and that it is our closest piece of information among all others that we could have found.
|DESIRED OUTCOMES/SKILL ACQUISITION||1. We will be able to apply ICT skills such as: creating a website/blog filled with updated information on our topic/project that everybody can see, creating pages filled with updated information on our topic/project so that everyone can see and refer to on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, putting up digital posters/videos filled with updated information in a digital/pictorial form on our topic/project so that everyone can see and refer to on the internet (such as Youtube).|
2. We will be able to create a possible and temporary solution to a problem that addresses a genuine need, for which t We will go through researches and interviews to find the temporary solution to the problem but as said, here is no preconceived plan and solution but for which there is an expectation of a genuine outcome.
3. We will be able acquire 21st Century Skills such as: Responsible Decision Making Skills, Information and Communication Skills, Collaborative Skills, Leadership Skills, Research Skills, Adaptability Skills. We might be able to decide between two information about our topic given by two different doctors entirely, so we are able to acquire Responsible Decision Making Skills. We must analyze and present the data that we collected so that it is understandable and it communicates to our target audience - women from the 20 years old to 30 years old age group the intended message, so we are able acquire Information and Communication Skills. Since we are collaborating all informations and working as a group, we are also able to acquire Collaborative Skills. The leader leads the group and sorts out who does which jobs and ensures everything is in order and correct, so we are also able to acquire Leadership Skills. We need to go through different methods and ways to find out and get the information we need by researching on our topic and hence we are able to acquire Research Skills. When our project title was too broad, we got to narrow it down and adapt to it, hence we are able to acquire Adaptability Skills.
4. We will be able: 1) Ask a question, 2) Do a background research on the question, 3) Conduct hypothesis, 4) Test with an experiment, 5) Analyze results and draw conclusions, 6) If hypothesis is true then report results, if hypothesis is false, try to construct the hypothesis again.
5. We will be able to answer our questions be it deepening our knowledge or reducing the risk of ovarian cancer, finding reliable sources of information and selecting relevant information from understand more about something and so that we can apply those information to our subjects and life skills. Information on ovarian cancer prevention can be applied to our life skills as the methods of prevention might for example be having a balanced and healthy diet, we can be able to avoid having Ovarian cancer and hence it will be part of our life skills. Information on ovarian cancer can be applied to our studies as if we got asked on how to prevent ovarian cancer, we are able to answer the question without the need of doing research. It also helps us learn beyond our classroom as a normal secondary school would not focus and teach us about ovarian cancer and the prevention of it and plus its not in our syllabus. This can apply in our studies and life skills as this can help us learn how to care for ourselves and in future may help us to study in science.
Using the template provided, think through and discuss with your mentor the planning and implementation issues of your project in creating a reasonable timeline to guide the progress and completion of your project. Provide sufficient time for the various phases of your research, e.g. literature review, experimentation, review, writing of research paper, presentation preparation. Take into consideration your school commitments.
|Group Project Proposal||Term 4 week 2|
|Evaluating and submission of Group Project Proposals||Term 4 Week 2|
|Log Book / Preparation for Experimental Research||Term 4 week 2|
|Reporting of results||Term 4 week 2|
|Preparation Individual written reports||Term 4 week 3|
|Preparation of Group written reports||Term 4 week 2|
|Feedback to students for improvements||Term 4 week 3-4|
|Final Submission of Group and Individual Reports||Term 4 week 2-4|